The Homeowner’s Guide to HVAC Maintenance
The HVAC system may just be the heart of your home. When it’s working properly, you probably don’t pay much attention to it. But when something goes wrong, it’s extremely evident. HVAC problems threaten to put your family at risk for discomfort and put a strain on your budget. Understanding more about your HVAC system will help you prevent future problems and alert you of when it’s time to take action. Pickett Heating & Air is dedicated to providing the homes and business of Houston with the best solutions for your HVAC issues. We’ll answer some of the most common HVAC questions so that you can be sure your HVAC system is functioning properly.
What is an HVAC system?
This is a great question! HVAC stands for heating, ventilation, and air conditioning. This system keeps your home or office space at a comfortable temperature. We understand the extremes Texans face when it comes to outside temperatures and how important it is for your indoor space to be reliable. Your HVAC system also works to give you excellent air quality and promote energy efficiency.
What are the most common HVAC problems?
With any complex system, multiple problems can arise. However, here are the three most common HVAC issues that occur:
- Leaks: A leak between HVAC connectors and drain lines causes your system to work harder than it should. Usually, this is a simple solution but does require the replacement of multiple parts. You can check for leaks from refrigerant lines, heat exchanger, and AC condensate.
- Corrosion: This is a natural effect from combining wiring with moisture. If your heating or cooling system turns on or off on its own, corrosion may be the culprit. When left unattended, the HVAC system may break completely.
- Dirt and debris: Your HVAC system will work inefficiently as a result of dirt or debris found anywhere within it. In many cases, a dirty air filter is to blame. If your air filter is not replaced regularly, it can minimize the airflow and clog your entire system. It also allows dust and allergens to be pumped into your home or office space.
How do I know if my HVAC unit needs to be replaced?
While many HVAC problems have simple fixes, six signs indicate the entire unit needs to be replaced. If you notice any of these HVAC issues, don’t hesitate to contact a technician.
- Your system periodically turns itself on and off
- Your system only blows out warm air
- Your energy bills are going up and you aren’t sure why
- You hear strange noises coming from your HVAC unit
- There is poor air circulation
- The temperature throughout your home is inconsistent
How can I prevent HVAC issues?
Like any type of machinery, overtime, you’ll experience problems with your HVAC system. However, when regular HVAC maintenance is a priority, you’ll prolong the life of your HVAC system. Ensure that your air quality is optimal and your system is running efficiently by participating in our Total Protection Plan. This membership gives you access to maintenance checks twice a year, in front of the line V.I.P. service, no diagnostic fees, and no overtime charges should an unforeseen problem arise during the holidays. You’ll keep money in your pocket and reduce the risk of countless HVAC problems when you sign-up for a Total Protection Plan.
If you’re in the Houston area, you can trust Pickett Heating & Air to address your HVAC needs in a timely, cost-effective manner. Whether you’re interested in regular HVAC maintenance, need air conditioner repair, or an contact us today or schedule an appointment here. Pickett Heating & Air is here to provide lasting solutions for your HVAC problems.
June 3, 2020